Saturday, September 11, 2010

Putting it Out There

This charming sampler caught my eye at the antique market recently. Charming, yes, but for me it went a little further. The words really inspired me; the feeling they evoked inspired me... It felt like a glimpse of memory in a dreamlike state that flickers and passes...
The only thing left to hold onto is the feeling of home; where it all started as far back as memory can take you...

I feel a strong connection to old textiles, stitchery and the time taken to make these pieces that were obviously meant to be saved, cherished and held onto within the family generations. As with so many such objects, I wonder about the path taken for it to eventually rest one day on a market table, up for offer...

My rather immediate thought was that I loved it and wanted to somehow 'make it mine', put my mark onto it in a way that will bring it back to life.

It is currently in a sorry excuse for a frame. My plan is to throw that away and look at it unframed. I want to create my own border, beyond the current one so as not to take away anything that was done originally. Blending my own style of textile stitchery with the original is a sweet challenge.

The title of this post is "Putting it Out There'. I have been neglectful lately of my creative side due to a heavy work schedule. That is easing up now so I decided to do this post as a promise to myself to get on with this project. I really want to do this and all I need to do is START. I know once it is underway I will be compelled to keep at it until I get it right. That is how I am. I will one day do a post of the completed work. I promise.

No comments: