Wednesday, August 19, 2009

More of the New Bedroom


I have been waiting to post some shots of our updated, de-cluttered bedroom... I fear this is not exactly 'decor worthy' to anyone but myself! However, here it is, in it's less than perfect state...

Now that the apologies are done with, I am in fact very, very pleased with these results. As far as a room to walk into, at any time of day, my eyes feel soothed and my mind at rest. No constant clutter to jar my mood. What I was after was some form of simplicity with a few hits of beauty to catch my eye.

With a very limited budget it was more about what was removed than acquired. This, if anything, is a tip I would pass on to anyone wanting a fresh start with limited funds. Take everything away, out of the room. Get back to the shell that is your space. Re-paint the walls. For myself, a soft white was the way to go. The other big element is your floor. We tore up the wall to wall carpet, (which I got for free from a film set far too long ago) and put down dark wood flooring.

With a new 'shell' to work with, adding elements back in will become a very considered process. I found I did not not want anything to mar the clean envelope. Functionally, I knew a vanity would be a great addition. I searched around and found this one with it's matching bench, already painted white and on sale! Perfect. It is a place to focus in the morning, getting ready for the day. With ample storage my stuff can be tucked away in drawers. (well, mostly).

No money to rid the room of the IKEA bed & dresser but with crisp white sheets and gorgeous new handmade pillowcases in Liberty fabric from elizagran their presence has been elevated.

Not ground breaking or magazine worthy but it sure works for me in my 'real' life!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your room looks lovely and you have inspired to paint the walls in my bedroom. They were painted a deep deep blue by my mother more than 40 years ago and the carpet put there by my grandmother must be 60 years old if it is a day. Pale grey wool but looking a bit worse for the wear these days and I know there are nice old fir floors underneath.
Coming back to live in the house I grew up in, is an interesting experience. Everything is so very familiar, yet I want to make some changes so it feels like 'my' house. As witnessed by your makeover, it doesn't have to be a huge change to create a whole 'new' feel to a space. Now to decide on a colour! J

FoundVintageStyle said...

that sounds great!

it will be interesting to make the space your own while feeling such a bond from the past there...

Grace@PoeticHome said...

Your room is very sweet and soothing! The floors look beautiful! I love how it has all come together. I really like the lamp you have on the nightstand; is it a vintage find?

I am slowly working on my bedroom, which always seems to fall to the low end of the priority list. My husband and I just installed our first headboard ever, and for the $25 invested, it made a huge difference :)

Krystyna81 said...

i agree...seems tranquil and inviting! looks lovely.

lift beds with storage said...

I love the subtle wall color in that bedroom.