Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Before & After/ Found Chairs

I was walking in my neighborhood one day and saw these chairs (there are 2 of them that are identical) standing on the curb, as garbage. Upon closer inspection I could see that structurally they were in perfect condition and extremely comfortable. The curve of the back gave fabulous support and molded nicely to the body. They just needed some TCL, a facelift...
The first job was to strip the awful shellac from the wood. A bit of a task as it turned out! From there I applied a rich deep brown stain and rubbed in a wax finish. I knew an excellent upholsterer from my film industry contacts. He's from 'the old world' and knows his craft! Having chosen a neutral wheat colored twill fabric I kept the cost of materials down and my guy gave me a great deal. Thank goodness I spotted them on the curb that day; they could have been tragically wasted and adding to landfill...

2 comments:

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

Gorgeous...like your rug also!

Krystyna81 said...

OOh I love that!!!!! And bravo for seeing it's potential.